Friday, January 25, 2008

Non maximal suppression not really working

My plan was to find the top vertical line found from the hough transform (the one with the most votes) and then take the angle from that line and assume that that angle is the angle of the remaining vertical lines that I'm interested. So at that point I take the column vector of the hough space corresponding to that angle and sort it in descending order and plot the top 20 lines found. I also implemented non maximal suppression in the following way: for each line that I'm about to plot, I check if the amount of votes for that line is the maximum in that cell's surrounding window (just looking at changes in rho, not theta). If it isn't a maximum then I skip it - I don't plot that line.

I've been having a hard time playing around with the window threshold - how big should the window be? When it is too big then I start missing lines that I need but when it is too small then it doesn't get rid of enough lines. The following is a perfect example. I was playing with the threshold for the following image and this was the best I could get it. It didn't get rid of the additional vertical line between the e and the a, while it missed the line between the n and the space.

No comments: